IN THE FACE OF TRANSITION
In the face of transition you might be:
- Excited/ elated about the change.
- Despising/ resisting the change.
- Feeling doubtful, unsure, and consumed with a sense that nothing is right with the world.
- Hearing a deep inner voice that reassures and tells you everything will be okay, even through the change.
- In denial with your head down saying la-la-la-la and not really doing anything to deal with the transition.
- Worried, anxious, stressed out maybe all the time.
- Feel abandoned, isolated, and like no one is there to help you.
- Feel grief, and in that process, also, anger, at the loss, at the change.
- You may feel regret, that there were so many things you wanted to do before things changed, but you didn’t and this may feel disempowering.
- You may feel guilt, and you may not know why.
- You may reject support or reassurance, as it may feel too much.
- It may trigger fight and flight responses. The stress of change may be too much for your nervous system.
- You may withdraw.
- You may be really excited about the new things to come but overwhelmed about the logistics.
- You may be excited about the new job, house, marriage, place to live, but it may be more excitement and happiness than you are used to which may trigger thoughts about whether you are worthy of the new events in your life.
Transitions are transformative, taking you to new places that you never thought you would be, changing your life, which often means leaving something behind including relationships, places, things or experiences which you valued and deeply loved.
I think big life transitions change you forever. Be gentle with yourself during transitions. And remember, self care is the kingpin during transition.
Choose to process your emotions as they come up, get support (as much as you can tolerate) from friends and professionals, and allow the energy of the universe to shower you with love and acceptance.
You are a divine being doing the best that you can in the face of deep emotions.
Embrace your divinity and love yourself! Loving yourself through challenging times will make it a much smoother ride!